Azouz

Icon use 1.PNG
Insta vertical 2 (1).jpg

Azouz was only a few month olds when he was badly burnt. He was asleep on a mattress in the room he and his family share as refugees in Lebanon. While his mother cooked in the kitchen, an electrical surge caused sparks to fly, and Azouz’s mattress caught fire, engulfing the tiny baby in flames.

His mother can’t really remember much about that day. She doesn’t want to either. Azouz’s father explains that they took him to the nearest hospital, where he was admitted into intensive care for a month. “We spent almost $7,000 on keeping him there, which was all the money we have left in this world,” he explains. “But we had to do what we could to keep him alive.”

Since being discharged from the hospital, Azouz’s burns have become extremely tight, restricting his ability to close his eyes. “It’s extremely painful for him,” his father says. However, the family are very poor and so funding the treatment their son needs is impossible. “I used to work in a library in Syria,” Azouz’s Dad tells us. “But now I can’t find a job anywhere.”

We introduced Azouz to our team of doctors at the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC). After an assessment, Dr. Saba recommended a scar revision surgery to release the contraction of skin on Azouz’s eyelid. This will ensure he can open and close his eyes without pain in the future. They also said that he will need regular follow-ups in the coming months to see if further surgeries are needed.

“We’re so optimistic about INARA’s treatment,” his father explains to us. “We know that AUBMC is one of the best hospitals in the country, and the doctor clearly knows what he is doing. We can’t wait for Azouz to be better again.”

icon use 4.PNG