Khodor hasn’t been able to eat or speak since his accident. His life is a struggle, and his mother says that she spends every single waking moment looking after him.
The family went to the supermarket. They bought washing up liquid, and it was on offer. It came with free chlorine tablets. “It had never been on offer before,” his mother explained, “but I felt that it was worth it.”
His mother put the shopping down, and left the room for a bit. Khodor, who wasn’t even a year old at the time, opened the box and put the chlorine tablets in his mouth and swallowed. It burnt the inside of his mouth. Ever since, his mother has to feed her son using a syringe every 15 minutes.
Our doctors at the American University of Beirut Medical Center will perform a scar release surgery on his lips and inside his throat as well. This should ensure that he can use his mouth just as he did before the accident.
“I hope that this surgery will help him to speak and eat,” his mother wished. “His life really depends on it.”