Aysha when we first met her.

Aysha when we first met her.

“When your child starts to walk, it’s a moment of huge pride,” explains Aysha’s mother. But when you are living as a refugee in cramped living conditions, even moments of joy can be tinged with sadness.

It was Ramadan last year when Aysha was badly injured. The family were all at home and Aysha was trying to walk. But as she went into the kitchen to find her mother, she tripped and fell onto a pot of boiling milk that lay on the floor.

Aysha’s mother was fasting at the time. She ran over when she heard her daughter’s screams. The moment she looked at the burning flesh on Aysha’s hand, she fainted.

“They couldn’t find a vein to take a blood test.”

Aysha’s father rushed his young daughter to the hospital. “She was so small that they couldn’t even find a vein to take a blood test. They put a needle in her neck and took the blood from there. The whole time I was so scared that I would lose her.”

After two days at the hospital, the doctor informed Aysha’s father that her hands were deformed and she wouldn’t be able to use them anymore. Her father was hopeless. He didn’t have enough money to pay for other medical opinions and didn’t know who to go to for help.

How we helped

After months of trying to find help, someone in their community suggested that he should contact INARA. We met with him and his daughter, and took them to the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC).

After an initial assessment, Aysha was booked in for a scar revision surgery on her hands. After many months of regular follow-ups, full mobility has now been restored to her hands.

“Before the surgery she couldn’t open her hand and spread her fingers,” her father explains. “She used to get mad every time she wanted to hold something and couldn’t. Now that she had her surgery she can do everything she wants to.”

Aysha at her final meeting with INARA in October 2017.

Aysha at her final meeting with INARA in October 2017.

A better future ahead

Aysha’s treatment hasn’t just helped her, but also her parents. “I was always crying before she was treated,” her mother says. “I thought it was my mistake. I used to stay awake all night just to make sure she was ok.”

Her father even left his job so he could dedicate his time to finding a good doctor to help Aysha. Now that she is better, Aysha’s father has gone back to work and can support his family again.

Aysha is still too small to go to school, but in four months her parents are taking her to a nearby library, where she will start to learn letters, colors and numbers.

Aysha’s family are so grateful to INARA for helping their daughter to get better. “I don’t have to worry about her future anymore,” her mother says with tears of joy in her eyes. “Thank you INARA!